What happened to linux HOWTOs

Author: J.L.Francoisfrenchie@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Subject: What happened to linux HOWTOs
Orig Msg> I've presumed that's what "dns helper" is for.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> sh-2.01$ ps aux | grep "dns"
Orig Msg> lufthans 21116 0.0 0.7 9696 1928 pc S Apr 3 0:00 (dns helper)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> If it weren't caching stuff it wouldn't need that as there's nothing to do
Orig Msg> but resolver calls and some error checking.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> You'd think they'd need that on other OSes where things don't work so well
Orig Msg> as opposed to on *NIXen, though.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> ciao,
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> der.hans
Orig Msg> --
Orig Msg> # home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.OpNIX.com
Orig Msg> # Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

Sorry to tell you, that is not what dns helper is for.
WHen you are running netscape it has options for synchronous
and asynchronous DNS lookups.
dns-helper is just another netscape memory wasting utility.

Add the following to your $HOME/.profile or /etc/profile to
prevent dns helper from loading the next time you start netscape:
export MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS=True

YMMV. HTH. HAND.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular