ssh & inetd

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: ssh & inetd
Just began experiencing something unusual and annoying:
Whenever I go to ssh into my server at home, I can no longer
type 'ssh mybox'. It takes forever to get to the login. If
I use the ip number (192.168.3.1), poof, I am there. IP is
is both hosts file. FTP works fine, and so does pop. This
just began after an update (Debian).

Somethind else I can't figure out: SInce sshd is running in deamon
mode, I thought tcpd/inetd.conf/hosts.allow doesn't apply. It does.
If I put the line
sshd: mylaptop
in hosts.allow, then I am OK. But running tcpdchk complains that
sshd is not in inetd.conf. Have I misconfigured something.

Item #1 is just plain annoying (typing my ip [that hasn't changed
since Moses]), but I can still get in OK. Item 2 bothers me as I
would like to keep hosts.allow/hosts.deny tightened down pretty
good, but I would still like tcpdchk to not complain.

Are the two related? I have checked host.conf, made sure all ip's
are still in hosts, etc.

When I do a tcpdump on my laptop (from the server), I notice that
the laptop is sending icmp packets to my nameservers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon
Phoenix, AZ