terminal background color

Author: Shawn T. Rutledge
Subject: terminal background color
On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 07:49:33PM -0700, Rick Rosinski wrote:
> If you are starting the terminal from within X, you can change anything about
> the terminal, including the window size.
> For example. xterm -fg white -bg black -geometry 640x480 -fn 10x20.
> For just the background, do xterm -bg red.
> I don't know how to change the text mode terminal, but I know it involves
> adding an environment variable in /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile.

And if you intended to do it with ANSI codes so that it will also work
on the console, the bash prompt howto has info about those. I've never
tried to set the entire background but I learned how to get different
foreground colors for my bash prompt. On second thought you can probably
only set the background color for text that is printed to the screen by
bash itself or by non-ncurses textual programs that you run, but not the
whole background.

--
  _______                                     http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud
 (_  | |_)     finger