RAM space vs swap space

Author: RickRosinskirick@rickrosinski.com
Subject: RAM space vs swap space
> Look at how much of your swap is being used. Swap is used as a last resort
> under linux. It moves things that aren't being accessed anymore from RAM to
> swap. Your system is using only 2MB of swap. Is this with things like GIMP
> running?

No. This was with minimal apps open. No gimp running. When I load Gimp and
work with images, lots of disk activity is happening, and free swap space
becomes low. I just wanted to demonstrate how much memory is occupied by cache
and shared memory.

I was informed that shared memory is for shared libraries, and having them
loaded into helps speed things up and so that apps using shared libraries
actually occupy less memory.

I would like to sacrifice the cache memory though, even though it is supposed
to shrink as apps need more ram. I want as much ram free from cache and things
like that so that I can modify images in Gimp without waiting for the swap
memory to catch up with me (I don't like waiting, that is why I got more ram in
the first place).

Rick Rosinski
http://www.rickrosinski.com