Connecting

Author: Sylvrfoot@aol.com
Subject: Connecting
Heya all. The list seems to be slow today so, it's a good time for questions
right? I just started setting up Linux after a long hiatus from serious
computer time. (I was in college in 87 for computer engineering, back in the
fortran and modula 2 days...) Anyway, I have some UNIX experience, so Linux
has been really fun for me. However, I have run into some snags.
    I am currently using AOL (no chuckles please, it has been convenient
considering how much I've traveled in the past few years. Nationwide
connectivity was a plus.) and of course, it's completely useless for a Linux
connection.
    So, I would like to know what you guys are doing for a connection and
what you would like to have for a connection. I've been looking into DSL, but
I'm not sure I understand exactly how many places I'll be paying for what
services when everything is said and done. ie, the phone company for the
line? and ISP for connection? AOL to keep my email the way it is?
    I think that I would like to have a constant connection to explore the
fun of servers and such in a deep end of the pool kind of way. However, cost
is a little bit of a factor as well. Like most of us I'm looking for a cheap,
effective, and reliable way to connect. Anybody with ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Thad