New to Linux

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: New to Linux
On Feb 8, 2:54pm, ron fuhrer wrote:

> I am getting to install my first Linux OS on a PC platform (PII-200).
> does it make a difference what version Linux I use? (SuSE, Redhat,
> Slackware,Debian)

Not particularly; there are some which are easier to install than
others. My personal preference is Red Hat (and not just because
I work for them either. I was running Red Hat Linux long before
I went to work for Cygnus -- which was bought by Red Hat).

Others on this mailing list have their own personal preferences. I've
installed most of the major distributions and they all have their good
points and bad points. The only one I *really* disliked was SuSE.
But they recently won the best distribution award at LinuxWorld. (Go
figure.)

Since you're a new user to Linux, why don't you relate your
experiences after you've done your install?

Kevin

--
Kevin Buettner
,