[Plug-security] Mar 19 followup

S Kreimeyer skreimey at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 01:05:59 MST 2011

Hey everyone,

I played around a bit longer with Virtual Box on our target machine
without much success. I tried an install of Ubuntu 9.04 in VBox and
encountered the same errors as with first image we tried. The vboxdrv
script would only return errors indicating an incompatible kernel. For
reference BT4 (the OS on our host machine) uses 2.6.30 (I think 2.6.35
is the most recent linux kernel). I'll go back to gangplank early next
week and see if I can't reinstall virtualbox with methods suggested by
the Backtrack developers. I think BT4 is a bit particular about which
Virtual Box release it can support.

If I can't resolve the issue soon, then I'll bring a live USB of an old
Ubuntu release. That way we can have a box to play with without risking
any lasting damage to the system. We would likely have very few
vulnerabilities to target on a clean system, but that might make
discovering them more fun.