Looking for opinions on email providers

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Sun Jan 28 22:58:35 MST 2024

I’d suggest getting a domain from somewhere and adding-on a cheap hosting plan like cPanel that includes email for as many mailboxes as you’ll need. Or if you have a spare domain you want to use that’s already hosted, that might do the trick.

If you look around for just email hosting, you’re probably going to find it’s the same price as a cheap hosting plan because as far as the server is concerned, the email plumbing is already there. You cannot install Linux without email, but you don’t need to set up Apache if you don’t want to host a website.

Personally speaking, I think this is a great opportunity to finally free yourself of a branded email host like Cox or Yahoo. They’re not your domain names, so why are you promoting them? “They’re free”. Yeah, and it makes you look cheap. Not to mention the Terms of Service you sign for a “free" account means you’re paying SOMEHOW — including possibly allowing them to scan your emails and stuffing CPA ads into your outgoing emails.

When you pay for your own hosting, nobody is touching your stuff. Heck, I’ve been getting some emails from a jerk trying to con me into sending him bitcoins, and my hosting provider refuses to even look into it! Their terms prohibit it, they say.

Free ain’t free. You’re gonna pay one way or another.

-David Schwartz