new computer

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 03:30:09 MST 2024

To avoid swap wearing out your ssd, if you don't have an hd handy, you can
set vm.swappiness to 0.  This is not great since paging is quite efficient
these days, but sometimes you'll want swap for suspend operations and don't
want to actually page unless you're under memory pressure.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 3:09 PM David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> Check out the latest batch of Intel-based N100 Mini PCs. They’re smaller
> than MacMinis.
>
> I’d say a minimal configuration would be 32GB of RAM and 1TB (or 2TB) of
> SSD. I’d say an N100 is minimal CPU.
>
> Some with AMD CPUs are cheaper as well.
>
> Here’s a search on Amazon:
>
> https://amzn.to/3woboP0
>
> They don’t sort very well; here’s the cheapest Linux box I found. There
> are cheaper ones with Windows that you can delete.
>
> https://amzn.to/48wM5rv
>
> I’ve got a 2014 MacMini, a 2014 MBP, and a 2018 MacMini and they’re still
> going strong. You can find late-model used Intel MacMinis for a few hundred
> bucks that work great.
>
> Way back in the day, the all-in-one boxes used to have problems with a
> serial port or the video going out and the whole thing would be dead. But
> that doesn’t seem to happen much any more. I use my MacMinis daily and the
> newer one runs the fan a lot when I’m watching videos, but other than that,
> they’re still humming right along. I had one of the first gen iMacs and the
> video card in it died shortly after the AppleCare expired. I ended up
> selling it for $375 anyway. Today you can buy USB-3 and USB-C expansion
> ports with one or more HDMI interfaces on them if the on-board video dies.
>
> Unless you need a super-high-power over-clocked water-cooled screaming
> machine for gaming or bitcoin mining, I cannot see the value in building a
> machine from scratch unless you’re trying to do it on the cheap using
> recycled components. What’s the point?
>
> -David Schwartz
>

> On Feb 23, 2024, at 6:46 PM, Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
> I want a guy I know to put a computer together for me. I'm thinking a
> single core (I don't think I need more processing power than that) with 8
> gig of ram. I'm wanting to spend $3-$400. I'm an older guy now and won't
> use it for much more than web and email. What should I tell him to put in
> it?
>
> --

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com