Cheap Laptop

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 11 16:21:29 MST 2023

Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:47:13 -0700

>https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-Laptop-Intel-Processor-N200-Pentium-4GB-RAM-128GB-UFS-Natural-Silver-Windows-11-Home-in-S-Mode-15-fd0081wm/2950076964?athbdg=L1800
>
>The N200 CPU has a decent benchmark with 4 cores and 4 treads...
>
>Seems like it would make a nice Linux machine.

It would make a nice Linux machine for email with a lightweight email
client and very simple web browsing with a lightweight browser. Or for
simple programming, or CLI work. But keep in mind that with 4GB RAM,
this computer was already obsolete in 2019.

I have some advice for anyone who buys this 90 pound weakling.

Garbage can your Gnome, kart away your KDE, xplode your XFCE. User
IceWM or FVWM or maybe Openbox without a panel.

Use Dillo except when you *really* need Javascript ability, then maybe
Qutebrowser. Use as few tabs as you can.

Don't use VMs. This computer's going to have trouble just running its
metal instance.

Forget those cutesy distros like Mint, Ubuntu, and all their spawn.
Forget Redhat. You might be able to shoehorn Debian or Devuan into such
service, or maybe *too or Arch, but personally I'd recommend Void Linux
or Slackware.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21