Linux Mint update questions ...

Ryan Petris ryan at petris.net
Wed Nov 1 03:27:11 MST 2023

Given those are so old now, (18.1 pushing 6 years...), you're probably going to spend a lot more time trying to upgrade than if you just backed up your /home directory and reinstalled everything, then restore your /home directory.

IMO LTS distros are meant more for commercial-type applications where you're going to install the operating system once and it's going to last the realistic lifetime of the system, and when you need to upgrade you're going to setup an entirely new system, or for atomic systems like containers where you can have a stable base and only have to update it once every few years. Given the infrequency of Debian releases you could say that it also falls into the same category, but I've found Debian Testing and Sid to be fine in the past.