Questions : switching back to Linux for my desktop

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Oct 26 10:12:25 MST 2022

<scroll>

On 2022-10-26 09:15, Thomas Scott via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Not all newbies. The ones who should go back to windows are the ones
> not willing to learn Linux. Linux was never intended for the dweeb
> whose computer interactions are email, web, and porn. Linux has always
> been, and continues to be, for those who want to boss their computers,
> not for those who want their computers to boss them.
>
> All hail the grey beard! All ye who do not master your computer, run
> and flee!! See the blood and terror ye have wrought whilst ye ignored
> the mighty WM. Ye never truly belonged in the first place...
>
> Seriously though, that's not why I'm here. I don't think what DE/WM
> you use, or whether you use systemd, init, or have your own set of
> scripts that are written in assembly and COBOL, it's not the point.
>
> It might have been the point to some, but never to all.
>
> I got into Linux because it was about choice, it was about what worked
> for me
> and my needs, and not what the corporate overlords have deemed
> or what I could afford. I had crappy hardware, I wanted to learn about
>
> computers, and Linux was my solution, and the freedom it provided
> and the doors it opened started me down a path that has provided
> jobs and now a career. That's the freedom I was looking for.
>
> Now *gasp* I run MacOS - even though I could have run Ubuntu or Arch,
> because so many of my tools just worked and needed less config.
> I still use Linux heavily for work, I'm still in the shell everyday, I
> still
> customize the things that matter to me, but I also just throw
> resources
> at problems because I don't want to deal with them right now.
>
> Congrats on the channel Keith! Hope it's a success for you!!
> Personally couldn't keep going on in PHP, after 2015, it was
> a nervous breakdown waiting to happen (again). I'm glad you've
> been able to make it work for you as a career though, that's
> pretty inspiring :)

Very kind of you!! I fell in love with technology at the UofA in
1983.... Graduated in 1990 and it took until 1995 to get a cooperate
job. I have had a love/hate relationship with technology.  It is not for
the light hearted.

I've made friends with a guy at Walmart who was a COBOL programmer and
his job was outsourced to India. I hear these stories periodically.  It
seems the life expectancy of a programmer might be 8 years and then they
are displaced and then they are working at Walmart.  Is it like this for
system admin?

I was able to make it work by becoming a freelancer.  I was in the right
place at the right time.  In 2008 I put up a small website and got some
traffic.  Those people were looking for custom programming.  It was an
interesting ride and it fit me well.

Lot's of gotchas, mostly in estimating a project. Estimating projects is
not easy.  Especially in the one man band space.  Not a lot of money in
these projects so one must get good at estimating on the fly. The other
risk is your project might go south because the person on the other side
does not have the wherewithal to complete the project.  This can lead to
missed payments and other issues.

So Thomas you are self taught?  I think most of us are.  Did you start
with PHP?

Thanks!!
Keith