In need of some info

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Tue Oct 18 12:30:46 MST 2022

I'd think using Chrome might be better b/c it’s engine is used far more widely than the others, including MS’ Edge browser, Chrome, and Opera.

There’s a movement afoot to use JS as a sort of “universal assembly language”. The great benefit here is that unlike stuff like Java’s JVM, JS is far more widespread since it’s implemented in every web browser, although not 100% identically (even though standards groups are doing their best to get there).

As such, there’s a growing base of tools that let you write code in a higher-level language that gets translated into JS. So why teach JS? Why not focus on one of the HLLs that gets compiled down into JS?

While I realize that most Linux folk are allergic to anything commercial, someone has to pay the bill for truly innovative stuff. Some products I’ve been working with for a long time are from a company called TMS Software. I work with Delphi, which was derived from Borland’s TurboPascal line, and TMS is one of the few premium component library vendors left in the market. In this case, they have been working on something called WebCore for a few years now that uses an open-source tool called pas2js to translate Delphi’s ObjectPascal code into JS. Their WebCore facility isn’t free, but it does work and run standalone inside of the Visual Studio Code environment — no Delphi IDE is required. It allows you to use their visual designer to lay out forms and write event handlers in Delphi’s ObjectPascal language, which is then translated into JS and packaged into a few files that can be uploaded to your web host and run in the web browser as a web app. You’ve gotta see it to believe it!

You can see a relatively simple app I built as my first non-trivial test with WebCore at the following URL. It took me about an our to write this app.

BestKeywordMixer.com

-David Schwartz