In need of some info

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Mon Oct 17 22:56:52 MST 2022

Plenty of available apps. :)

textEdit is a simple text editor. There is also nano for the command line. Also, with brew, you can install other needed apps and runtime environments. Firefox is most definitely available, however I don’t use it much as it’s accessibility under OS X using the screen reader is, at best, hit and miss. btw, between macports and brew, there are a large number of linux ports to OS X that are available. This includes the X desktop environment and many X based apps. If you can find a 2018 Mac mini (can be had for less than $500) then you are already most of the way there. Btw, I use brew here to install and configure many console apps, especially those dealing with multimedia and also ham radio. It also doesn’t hurt that they are reasonably accessible with the screen reader. :)

Anyway, poke around in MacPorts and you will see a huge list of available apps.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Tech Support Dept.