Software Portfolio

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Nov 30 10:19:41 MST 2022

Hi Trent,

I've had a love/hate relationship with tech.  I started programming at
the UofA in 1983.  Because I was an accounting major I was required to
take two programming courses.  By that point I was hooked.

Love/hate means I worked really hard and did not go so far.  Had a
couple corporate jobs however I hated the cube.  I hated office
politics.  I had come from a military and law enforcement background
where people tend to work together.  I think the hardship creates
bonding.

I look at programming and maybe other IT niches like baseball.

- There is the kid that does really good in high school and does not
make it to college.
- There is the kid that is on a college ball team and goes no further.
- Some make it to the farm team but goes no further.
- Then there is the select few who make it to the big leagues.

I consider myself a farm team level programmer.  There are lots of
people who can program me into the ground, however I can hold my own.

I addressed these issues in a simple way that has led to a bit of road
rash.

I've tried freelance programming maybe 4 different times.  I failed 3 of
those times.  I held some bottom feeder jobs for 10 or 12 years while I
tried to find my place.

Everything lined up for me in 2008 when I was able to build a website
that brought me in leads.  I started getting business and was making
money.

This is all anecdotal... and my advice comes from a guy who walked in
your shoes.

1) Educations only matters a little bit.
2) Those who hire you are looking for results which boils down to
skills.
3) Know yourself.  Don't interview well then find a way to not
interview.  As a freelancer no one has tried to interview me with the
exception of one guy.  And that was 1 out of a 1000.
4) What is in your heart?  Read about the Hedgehog Concept by Jim
Collins  : https://www.jimcollins.com/concepts/the-hedgehog-concept.html
  This will help you find your passion that will also help you earn.
5) Once you find your niche, develop your skills in that area.
6) If you want to work in the cube find a couple hiring managers willing
to give you 5 minutes a week as mentors. Work towards an internship and
then a full-time paid job.
7) If you want to freelance you will need a website, some skills, and
customers. To find customers you can look at the freelance job sites and
look at the job sites like Indeed and find remote jobs that are in your
niche.
8) You can always make a blog, do some Search Engine Optimization, and
add a YouTube channel to find business.

Hope this helps!!
Keith