Software Portfolio

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:50:30 MST 2022

(Lead buried in last two or three paragraphs.)

Hi,

I've been in software writing positions on-and-off since about 1999.  I
spent a couple years teaching myself Oracle SQL and PERL in 1999 and 2000
for a nice application in the phone industry, then I had a long bout of
unemployment, with some false stats on contract programming positions along
the way.  During that time I complimented my degrees, which included a math
major, with an MS in Information Management (really IT management) and a
certificate in programming from Rio Salado, a couple years programming
software tests in VBS for Micro Focus UFT One--which ceased to be very
challenging by the end of two years. Recently, I did a pre-apprenticeship
program with a local company with a software developer apprenticeship
program (TechOne IT)  which basically worked out to a slow-paced virtual
boot camp in anticipation of an initial contingent placement/apprenticeship
proper.

Right now my current employer (The Precisionists Inc)--which is specialized
in semi-supported contingent employment for autistic, neurodiverse, and
other disabled people (in that order) has me on the bench, but I'm close to
getting a new position as a Python web developer ... for which, I could be
more unqualified, but not much.

After lackluster success with the equivalent of more than an AS in CIS
specializing in programming.  I have concluded I face a few obstacles.

1.  I'm autistic, so I can't interview worth a damn.
2.a. There is a tremendous shortage of doctors and nurses, but no one is
going to hire one who hasn't graduated from an accredited program, done an
internship successfully, and passed their credentialing exam ... unless
it's as a drug salesperson.
2.b.  There is a tremendous shortage of software writers, but no one is
going to be studpid enough to hire one until they have completed an
accredited degree, done an internship, done a bootcamp, and maybe gotten
some certs.  I've only done the first.

I've been looking at maybe putting together a "software portfolio".

The stuff on the internet is focused on web-developer portfolio and seems
to be really describing a visually appealing website which is partware
between a resume and CV, but much closer to a friendlier more personable
website--which to pay to have made since you aren't a web designer.

I was thinking more, "this is my public GitHub account and this is software
I've written."

Between school and the recent quasi-bootcamp, I should know Java well
enough to write something useful in it.

I'm partway through a Scala basics book, and I love it sooo much.

I'd like to write more than just toys, maybe starting with little
utility-like things (but all the good ones seem to have been done) or by
doing maintenance or little chores on a Java- or Scala-based open source
project, which raises the question of how to find a not-dead project I fit
well with and which can use my not-MIT grade talent and knowledge.

I'd  really like advice on how to put together a public software portfolio
which is also of practical use (well, of some kind of use to others, even
if not terribly practical.)

Trent