Renamed ethernet adapter

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:04:29 MST 2022

Last night I renamed my ethernet adapter enx7cc2c6305483 (only one I
have) to eth0.  I found the instructions online.  I went into
/etc/netplan. First I renamed 01-network-manager-all.yaml to
o1-network-manager-all.yaml.bak Then I created a new
01-network-manager-all.yaml and made the changes I wanted.  I did this
because I sometimes use netwatch, but it expects eth0 to be there. I got
tired of having to specify the ethernet interface (netwatch -e
enx7cc2c6305483). After I made the change and rebooted, ifconfig showed
eth0 and netwatch worked without me having to use -e enx7cc2c6305483.
Today I found that Discovery gave me an error saying it was offline,
even thought it told me there are new updates available.  Also my vpn
client stopped working. This was the only changed I made since
yesterday, so I undid the changes I made in /etc/netplan and rebooted.
Discover and the VPN client worked like they're supposed to.  How can I
rename the interface to eth0 and fix it so nothing complains that the
interface it's looking for isn't there? Thanks.  Below are the two
versions of 01-network-manager-all.yaml

Original, what I went back to today

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
   version: 2
   renderer: NetworkManager

New one
# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
   network:
    version: 2
     ethernets:
         eth0: