GNOME or KDE?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed Mar 23 07:44:47 MST 2022

On 3/22/22 16:20, AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I was thinking of trying KDE, but do I have to re-install a new
> Kubuntu O/S to have KDE or is there a way to install the KDE desktop
> on my Ubuntu 20.04 (Gnome) desktop?

Strictly speaking, yes you can install KDE and GNOME at the same time,
but it can lead to the 2 desktops fighting for which desktop gets to
handle settings on the other and which programs are the default as well
as other quirks which can lead to a strange and sub-optimal desktop
experience.
You could also tell the system to completely uninstall GNOME, but by the
time you got it completely removed you would find it faster to just put
a fresh install of Kubuntu on your system.

If I were you I would just  backup my home directory and do a fresh install.

In the past the (k)ubuntu installer would preserve your home directory
when it detected you were installing a system over an existing install.
I don't know if that's still true, but if it is, it would make it an
extremely fast switch... but make sure you backup your home just in case
it doesn't work anymore.

Brian Cluff