Why is PHP not a "real" language?

Andrew McRobb andrewmcrobb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 02:23:49 MST 2022

Just my take on it, someone who used PHP very heavily from 2015 to 2018 and
transfered to Go.  My views maybe dated at this point...

It has its place in the ecosystem, there is no way around it, but it's
always going to be that language for engineering websites, that's it. It
was mostly considered bloated and not really seen as good as using Python
in Unix environments. Python does package management right, and you can go
far beyond that if you wanted which makes it a amazing tool and it's
usually pre-installed.

As someone who develops API code using Go as a daily, I haven't looked back
at PHP since. GO does so many things right in comparison to PHP. It makes
writting APIs a snap and infrastructures are much simpler and you can ship
binaries! But for rendering websites, it has its weaknesses and heavily
depends on template engines if you aren't writting a single web page
application. This is maybe when you depend on PHP, but front-ends like
React and Angular have came so far that having to mix front-end and backend
code shouldn't be necessary these days.

Small Rant: I basically came to terms that no one language is always the
answer to everything and the circle jerks of languages is just a waste of
time, imho. Use what you love, if you like it and it works and can scale to
demand, good for you! But never also find yourself stuck in a echo chamber,
learn some Erlang, Rust. See what else is out there. Heck you could find
out your a Ruby developer at the end of the day.