Right now my computer is in the shop.

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 06:21:29 MST 2022

arch has probably the best community (and wiki) in the business.  they also
have a huge (and relatively simple) extended software library (AUR)

the main reason most people will speak of arch is that it is a rolling (or
streaming) release.  so with fedora or ubuntu, you get new versions every 6
months or so and there may be upgrade scripts but you have to pay
attention.  with arch, it's a constant release system.  this means in arch
you tend to have the newer versions of stuff most of the time, not waiting
on some arbitrary version release window.  the downsides of this is that
with a locked version, you can generally count on patches not being
breaking, while that is not a guarantee in arch.

also.  arch is one of THE most customizable distros out there (that wiki is
so good it's often better than other distros official commercial support).
if you can do the base install (a bit more involved than fedora or ubuntu),
customizing your desktop isn't much of a jump.  Sure, you can do this with
most other distros, i mean software is software, but with arch you don't
have dependencies for chat clients reaching all the way up to base packages.

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com