Opportunity

greg zegan gjzegan at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 08:18:43 MST 2022

 Hello,  Good question.  Where can you get a good CS degree on a budget?India? Europe? North America?thanks,Greg

On 2022-08-22 00:17, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Not sure what good a CS degree is these days. Seems like all anybody
> caress about today is “at least 3 years hands-on experience with xyz
> and abc” to get hired for stuff.

I consider a CS degree as an engineer.  Those who follow this path can
do things the rest of us cannot do like create parsers, compilers, and
interpreters. Am I wrong?

I'm a programmer.  I do not have the skills of a CS degree holder.  You
(David) can do lots of neat things that I cannot.  I think your niche is
smaller if you want to do engineering class work.

I had a love/hate relationship with IT for a long time because I
struggled to find adequate W2 employment. I had to become a freelancer
to rise to my potential, and that could be a book.

I bet you could spend a couple months learning Kotlin, put up a website
and do freelance Kotlin development.

I have read articles that say freelancing will take over the world in
the future.  As companies start to realize they only need a core of
employees supplemented by freelancers, then that will become the norm.

It has been my experience that small businesses mostly hire freelancers
and have no IT staff.