T-Mobile Home Internet via ethernet connection tip

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sat Aug 20 12:09:31 MST 2022

Am 20. Aug, 2022 schwätzte Todd Cole via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin Todd,

> CL fiber was add to my area this spring

I need to check on fiber again.

> 70.00 940mbs up and down open ports no bandwith caps
> there are also 250 and 500 mbs plans
> I have not had to use support so far so no idea but so far it has no down
> time
> the only issue is my custom routers takes a hour to connect after a reboot
> but I assume it is looking for the supplied  router that came with the
> package

Oi, an hour of downtime for reboots reminds me of the 90s.

ciao,

der.hans

> [...]
>

>> The Tmobile device is very basic and doesn't have any of the things you'd
>> expect in a wireless router.
>> You can't set port forwarding and a lot of other things you can do
>> normally.
>> That part and the fact that I had to put it on the other side of my house
>> near a window to get a decent signal was a deal breaker for me.
>> JD
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 11:52 PM der.hans via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 19. Aug, 2022 schwätzte David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss so:
>>>
>>> moin moin David,
>>>
>>> I forgot to ask ( but presume the answer is no ), do the t-mobile devices
>>> support multiple vlans?
>>>
>>> I would like to isolate some devices and presume I would need to provide
>>> my own devices for network segregation.
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans

>>> really like it. I only have one beef: the spec sheet for their
>>> modem/gateway says it has 2x 1 gigabit ethernet ports, but they’re only 100
>>> Megs. In case anybody else might want to consider them as an ISP and has a
>>> 1GB LAN to connect, I’ve solved the speed dilemma.

>>> lying about it for two years, and was recently told that they were going to
>>> be releasing a new device soon and it def. WOULD have 1 Gb ports.

>>> once again the spec sheet SAYS 1 gigabit ethernet but the performance says
>>> nope — it’s still only 100 megs. WTF? I guess this lets them shave a couple
>>> of bucks off of the hardware cost. Actually, I’m not even sure why they
>>> bother to include the slow ethernet ports at all.

>>> modem/gateways have crappy WiFi and speedy ethernet — especially those from
>>> Cox and CenturyLink.)

>>> product like this for so long. Why can’t they just SAY they’re 100 meg
>>> ethernet ports?

>>> WAP/Range Extender and configured it so I can plug my local 1 GB ethernet
>>> LAN wire into it and connect to the T-Mo gateway via WiFi.

>>> Mbps. The ethernet, OTOH, never exceeds 93 Mbps.

>>> 750 Mbps DL and 78 Mbps UL. WHOA! That’s 5x DL and 2x UL faster than I got
>>> via the wired connection. (Actually, the newer 2018 Mac Mini gets that; the
>>> older one from 2014 only gets 180 Mbps DL and 65 Mbps UL.)

>>> Mac Minis can talk. I have the new one configured so I can access the old
>>> one via Screen Sharing on a dedicated Space (virtual desktop). When I do
>>> that over WiFi, the connection is intolerably slow for me; but with the
>>> wired connection, it’s quite reasonable.

>>> Internet bill by quite a bit by switching to T-Mo’s Home Internet ($50/mo)
>>> and a couple of internet channels (Discovery+ and Philo).

>>> has fewer dropouts than any other ISP I’ve ever used. I highly recommend
>>> it. Just … if you need to connect a wired LAN, get something like a fast
>>> WAP/Range Extender to act as a LAN-to-WiFi bridge.

>>> --
>>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
>>> #  "If it's not a toy you're looking at it wrong." --

#  "Metrosexuals notwithstanding, quiche still lacks something." -- David Brin