T-Mobile Home Internet via ethernet connection tip

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Sat Aug 20 11:51:38 MST 2022

CL fiber was add to my area this spring
70.00 940mbs up and down open ports no bandwith caps
there are also 250 and 500 mbs plans
I have not had to use support so far so no idea but so far it has no down
time
the only issue is my custom routers takes a hour to connect after a reboot
but I assume it is looking for the supplied  router that came with the
package

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 7:40 AM JD Austin via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> The Tmobile device is very basic and doesn't have any of the things you'd
> expect in a wireless router.
> You can't set port forwarding and a lot of other things you can do
> normally.
> That part and the fact that I had to put it on the other side of my house
> near a window to get a decent signal was a deal breaker for me.
> JD
>

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 11:52 PM der.hans via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 19. Aug, 2022 schwätzte David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss so:
>>
>> moin moin David,
>>
>> I forgot to ask ( but presume the answer is no ), do the t-mobile devices
>> support multiple vlans?
>>
>> I would like to isolate some devices and presume I would need to provide
>> my own devices for network segregation.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>> > I dunno if anybody here has T-Mobile Home Internet, but I do and I
>> really like it. I only have one beef: the spec sheet for their
>> modem/gateway says it has 2x 1 gigabit ethernet ports, but they’re only 100
>> Megs. In case anybody else might want to consider them as an ISP and has a
>> 1GB LAN to connect, I’ve solved the speed dilemma.
>> >
>> > First off, I’ve been round and round with their tech support folks
>> lying about it for two years, and was recently told that they were going to
>> be releasing a new device soon and it def. WOULD have 1 Gb ports.
>> >
>> > Well, they announced a new one (two, actually), and I got one and …
>> once again the spec sheet SAYS 1 gigabit ethernet but the performance says
>> nope — it’s still only 100 megs. WTF? I guess this lets them shave a couple
>> of bucks off of the hardware cost. Actually, I’m not even sure why they
>> bother to include the slow ethernet ports at all.
>> >
>> > (In a way this is really quite amusing, because prior to this, most
>> modem/gateways have crappy WiFi and speedy ethernet — especially those from
>> Cox and CenturyLink.)
>> >
>> > I don’t know how a big company like T-Mo gets away misrepresenting a
>> product like this for so long. Why can’t they just SAY they’re 100 meg
>> ethernet ports?
>> >
>> > Anyway, I finally got fed-up and bought a TP-Link RE550 AC1900
>> WAP/Range Extender and configured it so I can plug my local 1 GB ethernet
>> LAN wire into it and connect to the T-Mo gateway via WiFi.
>> >
>> > To be sure, the T-Mo gateway’s WiFi is FAST! I’ve seen speeds up to 870
>> Mbps. The ethernet, OTOH, never exceeds 93 Mbps.
>> >
>> > With the RE550 plugged in, my Mac minis connected to the LAN now get
>> 750 Mbps DL and 78 Mbps UL. WHOA! That’s 5x DL and 2x UL faster than I got
>> via the wired connection. (Actually, the newer 2018 Mac Mini gets that; the
>> older one from 2014 only gets 180 Mbps DL and 65 Mbps UL.)
>> >
>> > And in case anybody is wondering why I use a wired LAN, it’s so the two
>> Mac Minis can talk. I have the new one configured so I can access the old
> [...]

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
2928 W El Caminito
Phoenix AZ  85051-3957