https://www.zerohedge.com/political/59-million-americans-prohibited-buying-high-end-dell-gaming-pcs

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Wed Jul 28 13:24:18 MST 2021

Let me correct you on a few things.

1. Normalization of cat 5 hurricane? Considering our recorded history and that also of the British, the busiest year for hurricanes (and incidentally also the most intense) was 1778. In fact, the number of cat 5 storms hasn’t really increased on average much in the last 100 years. Also, I survived 2: Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Hugo. Those were considered rare storms due to them being at max edge of cat 5. We don’t have a cat 6 rank. The physics behind such storms would preclude such an event.

2. The water wars scenario you point to can be easily alleviated by building high volume desalinization plants along major coastlines. Those, of course, would require lots of power to run, but the availability of clean drinking water would certainly make them worth the cost. Also, researching and developing better water treatment technologies.

3. Crop failures. Now, this is a sticky problem no matter how you cut it. Crop failures can be caused by a fair number of things, chief among them is drought (which I pointed out earlier is often cyclic). Also, specific plant based diseases, bad land management policies and other factors). Many such crop failures are often the direct result of weather. Yet, even though crop failures are emphasized in the “news media”, they aren’t really what is happening. There are several regions over the planet that have, in recent years seen bumper crops, which flies in the face of the “crop failure narrative” btw, bad government policies can also lead to crop failures (the 1930’s dust bowl is an example of bad government land practices, coupled with record temperatures and poor farming practices).

4. “Climate refugees”? Pardon, but there have been ongoing studies showing that this isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, many who enter the US illegally sometimes encounter local officials asking why they really came here. The first answer always given is jobs, money and apparent freedom. Not climate. And as noted, the “Climate change narrative (regardless of the current name it is called) is falling apart at the seems. There is no hard, empirical data showing anything other than slight variations to natural cycles. About the only places where such a narrative would actually be factual are large, land area cities (like Phoenix Arizona, Los Angelas, Las Vegas, etc). It should also be noted that 95% of all weather station measuring technologies are located within the bounds of all major cities. Since most of those cities are on or near a coastline, that might skew the data a lot. Also, consider that more than 85% of the US population lives within 200 miles of a major coastline and you see how the data can be skewed.

5. Replacing farmland with residential areas is a bit of a problem, admittedly. The Phoenix metro area used to be one of the largest cotton producing areas in the western half of the US. We were also responsible for supplying much of the citrus as well. Also, add corn, sourgum, alfalfa and other feed crops to that list and then take a look at what has happened since the 1980’s. There is also one additional problem with farmland and it’s directly related to who owns the most. The single largest farmland owner in the US is Bill Gates (yes, the very same that started Microsoft and also started a decades long war with the linux open source movement). The second largest is a country (and as you guessed it, it’s china). Now, if either Gates or China decide not to produce food (for whatever reason), guess what that means for the many other interconnected industries (as well as us consumers). Food costs across the board will rise radically fast. That, in and of itself, would be a very large variable in causing starvation. That problem would definitely be considered man caused.

6. Underwater cities? So far, that concept is still on paper. There are many problems to overcome before that even comes close to any kind of reality.
Now, name calling isn’t a good way to win arguments. Basically, you used rule 4 of rules for radicals by accusing anyone that doesn’t agree with your assertion to be “An ethical Cripple”. Bad form dude. If you wanted a proper debate, this was not the way to win it. Now, some of the issues as stated are not easily within any realm of control. Hurricanes will happen and the primary driver for ALL weather on this planet is the same one that has been fusing hydrogen into helium for a better part of 5 billion years. Anyone who states otherwise is trying to sell you on something or try to con you.. One other argument that doesn’t wash (because the math won’t support it) is the carbon dioxide argument. Logically speaking, how is a gas that makes up less than 0.0417% of the earths atmosphere be a primary driver in climate change? The answer is, its effects are almost negligible. I say almost only because more CO2 means more plant growth (the only natural way to sequester carbon). The biggest (and most abundant) “greenhouse gas” is water vapor and can be impiracly proven on overcast nights. It does, however, have a double edge sword effect. Cloud cover can also reflect a lot of the suns heat back into space (so much so that it can actually trigger an ice age)). And yes, a lot of this is scientifically proven using the rigorous scientific method and not the religious edict method as used by politicians and politicized sscience types who are even barely qualified as scientists.

So, many of the arguments you made have just fallen flat.

Anyway, I think that we have strayed away from the main topic for this group, which is Linux, Open source, employment in such fields that use such, etc.

Just remember Mark Twain’s Laments:
1. “Those who fail to pay attention to the news are often uninformed. However, those who do pay attention to the news are often badly MISinformed.”

2. “There are lies, damnable lies and statistics.”

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Statistical analysis dept.