PSA: Ubuntu 19.10 to end x86 32-bit support

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jun 20 20:20:14 MST 2019

I really rarely ever need 32bit libs for anything, most notably and weird:
Steam.

I heard even they are working on a 64bit client, fscking finally, and I
really have ideal why this is even a thing in 2019.  Installing steam and
arch both require you to use the "runtime" version, that runs at 32bit, and
for fsck's sake I cannot think of a good reason why this is.  Everyone
complains about it, and in 2019 it *is* still a thing.

There are how-to's how to get Steam to run in "native" mode, but I've never
gotten it to work.  Ever.  The 32bit version works fine, but gezus, why
still I ask as it pulls in a ton of irrelevant 32bit libs with every
install otherwise and Steam, despite their progressive linux support, still
does not?!

-mb