WordPress file ownership and Permissions

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Jun 20 19:35:48 MST 2019

Hi I am running a local server running Ubunto 16.04LTS with a stock LAMP
install that runs  stock Apache.

I have an install of WordPress under
/var/www/vhost/{vhost-name}/public_html

Here is my problem.

I can either FTP or WordPress can edit / remove file.  I cannot do both.
 Not sure why.

To allow WordPress to modify files I must:  (I cannot SFTP)

 	* chown -R {my-user-name}:www-data www/
 	* chmod -R 755 www/

To allow me to SFTP I must change the file ownership:  (WordPress cannot
modify files)

 	* chown -R {my-user-name}:www-data www/

I would like to be able to FTP and allow WordPress to modify files.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!!