PSA: Ubuntu 19.10 to end x86 32-bit support

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jun 20 10:48:57 MST 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 21:48:08 -0700
Stephen Partington <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> specifically. from the cited threads in the list.
>
> - Users who need support for i386 integrated natively into their OS
> can use Ubuntu 18.04 with security support until April 2023.
> - 18.04 can be run in a chroot or container on top of later Ubuntu
> releases until 2023 with security support from Canonical, or beyond
> that without.
> - 32-bit software distributed as snaps built with an 18.04-derived
> library runtime can reasonably[1] be expected to work on later
> releases of Ubuntu for the foreseeable future
> - Once we're past the point where security support is available for
> the libraries anyway, maybe there's no advantage anymore to having
> your 32-bit compat libraries managed via the packaging system either;
> so maybe you just make /lib/i386-linux-gnu a straight unpacked
> tarball of the libs you need, and no longer have to worry about the
> version-lockstep constraints of multiarch.

Does anybody know what percentage of computers still being used
worldwide have 32 bit hardware? My research tells me the last 32 bit
desktops were made around 2003, and 32 bit laptops around 2009. I know
all my 32 bit hardware broke long ago: I have several circa 2008
computers still running, but they're 64 bit. My two 2006 laptops and
one 2008 laptop are all 64bit.

Are a lot of people in poorer areas of the world still using 32 bit
equipment? Or is a 32 bit computer more like an antique thing now?

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive