PSA: Ubuntu 19.10 to end x86 32-bit support

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 21:48:08 MST 2019

specifically. from the cited threads in the list.

- Users who need support for i386 integrated natively into their OS can use
  Ubuntu 18.04 with security support until April 2023.
- 18.04 can be run in a chroot or container on top of later Ubuntu releases
  until 2023 with security support from Canonical, or beyond that without.
- 32-bit software distributed as snaps built with an 18.04-derived library
  runtime can reasonably[1] be expected to work on later releases of Ubuntu
  for the foreseeable future
- Once we're past the point where security support is available for the
  libraries anyway, maybe there's no advantage anymore to having your 32-bit
  compat libraries managed via the packaging system either; so maybe you
  just make /lib/i386-linux-gnu a straight unpacked tarball of the libs you
  need, and no longer have to worry about the version-lockstep constraints
  of multiarch.

wrote:

> For those that haven't seen it, Ubuntu 19.10 and derivatives are going
> to end official x86 32-bit support. This is not just the end of 32-bit
> ISOs though; they are also removing ALL 32-bit packages from their repos.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2019-June/000245.html
>
> This will have serious ramifications for those that use Ubuntu and want
> to use 32-bit software, device drivers, and the like.
>
> For now the best options appear to be:
>
> 1. Run your software in a VM, chroot, snap, or container
> 2. Stay on Ubuntu 18.04 or earlier and do not upgrade
> 3. Use a different OS altogether.
>
> I'm opting to phase Ubuntu out completely personally.
>
> -Matt

Stephen