Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Sep 4 16:31:34 MST 2018

I ran debian for a bit for my work laptop, but found that even though close
to ubuntu, there was greatly decreased compatibility with anything like
drivers or dpkg compatibility.  Everything 3rd party dpkg just ass-u-me's
ubuntu, which always broke things for me with bad dependencies and general
chaos.  I went back to ubuntu within a few months...

I do have a love/hate relation with KDE.  I'd really love to use it as I
prefer it to other WM's, but it's so buggy with any multi-monitor function,
even back to kde4 days, that it's still unusable for me.  I tried using it
with a fresh current build a few weeks ago on Arch, and found it still too
broken to use with it, destabilizing within a few days to crash the pc
(kwin compositing is crap).

You can always keep ubuntu and try different window managers, each has
strengths weaknesses.  Less severe approach to switching distro's.  I'd say
try Arch if inclined.  It was painful to get working, and never did on my
laptop (xps15), but love it on my desktop.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to fix kde - been waiting 10-12
years already for me, and usually end up having to painfully move on.

-mb