Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 4 14:39:54 MST 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 10:06:05 -0700
Jim <jim.nantz15 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 09/04/2018 09:46 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I think your near-future decisions are much more wide ranging than
> > Kubuntu vs Debian Stable:
> >
> > * Do you want to keep using KDE?
> Yes
> > * Where on the "User Friendly" vs DIY spectrum do you want to
> > reside
> When I install it, I want it to just work, but I want to be able to
> tweak some settings if I want to.
> > * Do you have issues with using systemd?
> No
> > * Are there distros you like or dislike because of the way they do
> >    business?
> No
> > * Major versions, or rolling release?
> As long as it works and is stable, I don't care if it's a major
> version or rolling install.
> > * Binary install, or compiled install?
> I prefer to install binaries rather than compiling from source.  I'm

Sounds to me like Kubuntu is right for you. *Ubuntu's specialty is
"just works", and Kubuntu features the KDE wm/de you want, together
with other programs that work with KDE. "Just works" creates bugs on
edge cases, and KDE is known buggy, but it's what you want. The "No
Free Lunch" doctrine declares the price for this is a few bugs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz