Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartm.com
Tue Sep 4 10:19:31 MST 2018

My stupid email client (OutBreak) doesn't know about quoting, sorry.  (And I'm at work, so have no choice in the matter - can't use a REAL email client ;-)

So, I'll agree with Steve's great set of questions.

In my case, I've chosen Linux Mint (which does have a KDE version) - primarily because their 'distribution goal' is 'to just work' (which means that they've disabled updating in Synaptic - you have to use package manager for that. Sorry, and for the purist they'd tear Mint from limb to limb over that, but since I personally have had a package install break stuff, I'm now ok with that approach...).

Since I've not directly addressed or responded to anything in the original, my scissors will be quite aggressive :-)  I'll simply say that, as far as I know, Mint and probably MANY others will meet your 'requirements' below (mint 18.3 uses systemd, mint 17 didn't.  If the network comes up fast, our systems booting 18 are blazing fast to boot, even compared to 17 which was pretty fast anyway)

Snipping begins!