Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Jim jim.nantz15 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 10:06:05 MST 2018

On 09/04/2018 09:46 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> I think your near-future decisions are much more wide ranging than
> Kubuntu vs Debian Stable:
>
> * Do you want to keep using KDE?
Yes
> * Where on the "User Friendly" vs DIY spectrum do you want to reside
When I install it, I want it to just work, but I want to be able to
tweak some settings if I want to.
> * Do you have issues with using systemd?
No
> * Are there distros you like or dislike because of the way they do
>    business?
No
> * Major versions, or rolling release?
As long as it works and is stable, I don't care if it's a major version
or rolling install.
> * Binary install, or compiled install?
I prefer to install binaries rather than compiling from source.  I'm not
a programmer, so I don't understand the compiling process well. I can
follow the step by step instructions, but if something goes wrong, I
usually don't know how to fix it, or even if fixing it is possible.
Thanks for all the advice. I have a 128GB SSD to boot from, but only use
40GB for Kubuntu, so there's plenty of room to install another OS for
testing.