Kubuntu 18.04 and HDMI

Jim jim.nantz15 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 08:58:13 MST 2018

I have a box running kubuntu 18.04 64 bit and an NVIDIA Geforcee GT520
video card.  The first monitor is connected via the DVI connector.  The
second monitor using the HDMI connector. I also use the  second monitor
for the cable box and I have an hdmi switch to connect the second
monitor to the computer or the cable box.

The problem is that the computer doesn't recognize there's an hdmi
monitor connected.  Sometimes it does this when I boot up the machine.
Sometimes when I have the second monitor connected to the cable box and
switch back to the computer, I don't get the second display.  If I'm
lucky, restarting the x server will work. Sometimes I have to reboot the
machine.  If it really wants to be a pain in the ass, I have to
uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, and restart the x server.  Then the
Nouveau drivers are used and it works.  That is, until the next time it
happens and reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers fixes the problem.  Until
next time.

When it's not working xrandr says HDMI-1 is disconnected, even though it
is connected.   Is there something I can do to  restore the second
display without the rigamarole of uninstalling/installing drivers?  I
tried using the second monitor's VGA input.  That works, but I then have
to use the sound card in the computer.  Because of the cable box,
there's an annoying hum in the audio.  I can deal with that by
connecting a wire from the case of the computer to an alligator clip
which I connect to the coax input to the cable box.  Then the clip comes
off or I bump something and that annoying hum is back.

Any ideas?  Thanks