new thread: QoS, latency, bandwidth and the FCC/net neutrality debate

Herminio Hernandez, Jr. herminio.hernandezjr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 01:33:51 MST 2017

This line right here is the key from that article.

"Net neutrality is intended
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-questions.html>
prevent companies that provide internet service from offering preferential
treatment to certain content over their lines. The rules prevent, for
instance, AT&T from charging a fee to companies that want to stream
high-definition videos to people."

Basically what is being said is that ISPs cannot manage their traffic
period. The very definition of QoS is the preference of some traffic over
others. This how network traffic has been managed since the 1990s. The
reason why it is not working it is because it is asking for that which is
not technically possible.

And as far as Netflix is concerned please take a look at this article. It
clearly shows that Netflix was partly to blame due to their to push more
traffic than the ISPs they were using could carry. It is a great lesson why
we need traffic shaping and how Net Neutrality simply does not work in the
real world.

https://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/06/netflix-isp-newdata.html