new thread: QoS, latency, bandwidth and the FCC/net neutrality debate

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Mon Nov 27 20:11:02 MST 2017

in this case, I believe that steve might be the more correct on this issue.

try finding a paper application these days. about the only places I see this are government offices.

try finding broadband other than cox, century link, dish. The days of dialup internet are also long gone. who would spend $19 a month for 56k when you can get that price point on 1 Mbit service?

also, there is no municipal internet anymore (except in very small areas of tempe) the ISP's (such cox, comcast, etc) have petitioned or lobbied to have that struck down add to this the barrier to entry that both the cable and DSL providers have in place, and you have a recipe for monopolistic control of access to the internet.

now, there has already been a recent case where a big provider (in this case: comcast) deliberately throttled traffic from a video vendor for over 2 months that same broadband operator has also been caught inserting redirects, throttling other services and in one case, even denying service to specific content through their broadband connection (ostensibly because it was a competing vendor)

so, back when the telco lines were utility regulated, there were many ISP's and a lot of available entrances onto the net. since 2010, that has been whittled down to a half dozen providers, all of which control 95% of all the access to the internet in urban areas and city centers. also, if you live in a rural location, you stand a far higher chance of not having service (last mile expenses being the justified reason).

so, with only 2,3 or even 4 choices, all of which offer similar packaging at nearly the same price points, is not much of a choice at all.

-eric
from the central offices of the Technomage Guild, you can't get here from there Dept.