SQL question

Herminio Hernandez, Jr. herminio.hernandezjr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 21:27:20 MST 2017

I run my family email server using postfix + dovecot + mysql + spamassassin
+ roundcube. When I first set up the server I follow the Digital Ocean
tutorial *here
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-a-mail-server-using-postfix-dovecot-mysql-and-spamassassin>.
*I want my users to be able to change their password in roundcube, however,
their documentation for the password plugin wants me to set SQL query
string as follows,

UPDATE users SET
password=ENCRYPT(%p,concat(_utf8'$1$',right(md5(rand()),8),_utf8'$'))
WHERE username=%u LIMIT 1

This is using md5 for the hashing where as I am using SHA (also I do
not have a users table). See below,

INSERT INTO `servermail`.`virtual_users`
(`id`, `domain_id`, `password` , `email`)
VALUES
('1', '1', ENCRYPT('firstpassword', CONCAT('$6$',
SUBSTRING(SHA(RAND()), -16))), 'email1 at example.com'),

I want to format this query correctly. Any help would be appreciated.