Network Shares

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Feb 28 13:59:56 MST 2017

On 2017-02-28 13:03, Nathan England wrote:
> I'm now in a linux only environment and decided to try NFS instead.
> I shutdown my main computer for the weekend and left town. I just got
> home, booted up the computer and opened Dolphin and my remote volume
> is empty. I opened the command line and everything is there. I checked
> with Thunar and again, every thing looks great. What's the deal with
> KDE apps and nfs volumes?
> Dolphin can't see anything. Kwrite/Kate are horribly slow when
> modifying text files over nfs.

How are these KDE things accessing the NFS share(s)?  If the NFS shares
are mounted normally (via automount or fstab doing "mount -t nfs
server:/share /mnt/somewhere") and Dolphin et al are using
/mnt/somewhere/ to navigate to places, then there should be no
KDE-specific problem happening.  OTOH, KDE may write sockets or pipes or
its search index to your ~ and then expect those things to be local
files.
http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Why_the_KDE_menu_is_slow_when__usr__is_NFS_mounted___and_a_workaround.html
may also explain the problem, but that was 2 years ago, so it really
shouldn't.

If the KDE applications are using the nfs:/ KIOSlave, that could cause
KDE-specific problems.  Does "dmesg | grep -i nfs" return anything odd
on the NFS client?  Or the server?  I didn't have any trouble with NFS
when I set it up at home, but that was only 2 computers, 1 share with
only a few files on it, and KDE barely involved.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity