Mastodon

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Apr 18 12:38:16 MST 2017

On 2017-04-18 12:20, Herminio Hernandez, Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Matthew Crews
> <mattcrews at mattcrews.com> wrote:
>> Unless the government is somehow involved, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter,
>> etc. aren't suppressing free speech. They have the right to censor
>> whatever we say, since it is their network we are using.

This runs into a problem pretty quickly in the modern world:  These
things are insanely popular, and have become almost the default way for
some people to communicate.  Facebook et al essentially *own* the public
square and all the soapboxes.  When Ma Bell owned the phone network, we
implemented "common carrier" restrictions, so the phone company wasn't
allowed to censor people's phone conversations.  I think it's high time
for something similar applied to ISPs, but we've probably lost that
battle.  A technically sound RFC for some sort of "social networking
protocol" no single company owned would also be a good idea.

> I agree in principle, but these platforms are working in conjunction
> with governments to suppress views they do no like. So, while I agree
> that a private business can run this way they should stop the pretense
> of being an open platform.

I don't think they're pretending to be open.  They're pretending to be
safe, or family-friendly, or edgy, or whatever they think will make them
the most money.  "Open" is a thing that most people don't care about, so
it's far down the list.

There are quite a few Francophone communities in this whole Mastodon
thing, which seems a bit odd.  Liberte, egalite, TCP/IP?  :-)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity