I think I was hacked....

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Wed Sep 14 22:01:02 MST 2016

well,
there might be a way to tell which system utilities got changed. if you happen to have a spare box, install an identical setup to your current machine. then do an md5sum on all executables. do the same on your current box and then on the clean machine, run diff against both generated lists. you might find out that you have a root kit or trojan or some other malware in operation.

Also, it is likely that someone may have found an exploit on your machine (when was it last updated with security patches?).  This is going to take a bit of work, but you might just find out what happened.

I had this type of situation crop up in 2004 when I was using a debian machine as the house firewall. I thought I had locked everything down and even sealed off ports with the iptables script I wrote. NOPE! someone found an exploit and the next thing I knew was that I had several infected binaries on my system and some invisible process that tried running an additional networking service I hadn't previously installed.

teaches me to think I was an expert (I was, but there is always someone better).

ah well, its a bit of work, so get cracking.

-eric (from the offices of the technomage guild).