MySQL remote exploit

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Sep 14 07:11:51 MST 2016

I think this is a great opportunity to talk about sanitizing one's data
before sending it to the DB.

There is two very easy things one can do if programming in PHP.

1) Addslashes - Returns a string with backslashes before characters that
need to be escaped. These characters are single quote ('), double quote
("), backslash (\) and NUL (the NULL byte).

2) htmlentities — Convert all applicable characters to HTML entities -
this will convert any semicolons not enclosed in quotes into it's html
entity.

http://php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php

Little Bobby Tables :
http://php.net/manual/en/images/fa7c5b5f326e3c4a6cc9db19e7edbaf0-xkcd-bobby-tables.png

I do not profess to be an expert in this area.  I spent a lot of time
looking into this about 10 years ago and still feel like I need to know
more.  I'm always eager to learn more in this area.

Please add your thoughts?

Thanks!!
Keith

On 2016-09-14 01:41, der.hans wrote:
> Am 14. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Herminio Hernandez, Jr. so:
>
>> Should I be consern even if my SQL server is only listening on
>> localhost?
>
> Depends on what you have using it.
>
> If it's the DB for a web site, then it's possible that SQL injection
> can
> be used to modify your database.
>
> For instance, WordPress has lots of security issues, so it likely can
> be
> exploited to use SQL injection to talk to your DB.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Joseph Sinclair
>> <plug-discussion at stcaz.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> FYI, minor improvement below to lock down a few edge cases (note,
>>> this is
>>> primarily for EXT{2,3,4} and other filesystems that support file
>>> attributes).
>>> You'll also need to remove the attribute manually before updating
>>> when
>>> patches become available.

>>> # chattr +i /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf

>>>           chattr +i $file
>>>           lsattr $file
>>>           lsattr $file

>>> it
>>> not

>>> disadvantage
>>> about

>>> MariaDB

>>> critical-update-cve-2016-6662

>>> Remote-Root-Code-Execution-Privesc-CVE-2016-6662.html

>>> newspapers.

>>> an

Keith Smith