MySQL remote exploit

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 14 01:41:37 MST 2016

Am 14. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Herminio Hernandez, Jr. so:

> Should I be consern even if my SQL server is only listening on localhost?

Depends on what you have using it.

If it's the DB for a web site, then it's possible that SQL injection can
be used to modify your database.

For instance, WordPress has lots of security issues, so it likely can be
exploited to use SQL injection to talk to your DB.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net>
> wrote:
>
>> FYI, minor improvement below to lock down a few edge cases (note, this is
>> primarily for EXT{2,3,4} and other filesystems that support file
>> attributes).
>> You'll also need to remove the attribute manually before updating when
>> patches become available.
>>
>> On 09/12/2016 12:33 PM, der.hans wrote:
>>> Am 12. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Herminio Hernandez Jr. so:
>>>
>>> moin moin,

>>> Ah, OK.
>>>
>>> You might also want to create a couple of empty files and lock them down.
>>>
>>> $datadir can be exploited, so pre-emptively putting empty conf files in
>>> there that can't be changed by mysql is a good idea.
>>>
>>> The following is for anyone with questions on locking down the config
>>> files in $datadir.
>>>
>>> Presuming $datadir is /var/lib/mysql either of the following will lock
>>> down the files when run as root, but the first will destroy files you
>>> might already have.
>>>
>>> # >/var/lib/mysq/my.cnf
>>> # >/var/lib/mysq/.my.cnf
>>> # chmod 000 /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf
>> # chattr +i /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf
>>>
>>> Or, with some minimal verification that it's safe...
>>>
>>> # for file in /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf; do
>>>     if [ ! -e $file ] ; then
>>>        >$file
>>>         chmod 000 $file
>>           chattr +i $file
>>>         ls -l $file
>>           lsattr $file
>>>     else
>>>         ls -l $file
>>           lsattr $file
>>>         echo "You might want to check on that"
>>>     fi
>>> done
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans

>> it
>> not

>> disadvantage
>> about

>> MariaDB

>> critical-update-cve-2016-6662

>> Remote-Root-Code-Execution-Privesc-CVE-2016-6662.html

>> newspapers.

>> an

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Backups are irrelevant. Only restorals matter." -- der.hans