diy gray card with gimp

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:36:11 MST 2016

I am poor. So poor that I made a white card for color balancing by taping
two pieces of white printer paper together! lol Now I am going to print a
gray card. So I open GIMP and open a new project and open the Bucket Fill
Tool. So I click in the new project and it is solid black. I then hit
cntrl-c and reduce the opacity to 80% and click in the project. Still a
little dark.... I could go on but you get the point of the process. I'm
figuring the neutral gray color is 50% They want 18% but 18% is almost the
color of the Gimp window which is a kind of beige. So the question I pose
to you all is what is the proper opacity for my purposes?

And while we're on the topic of white balance I rear that the whe you take
the white balance image you want it to be a little out of focus. Is that an
accurate statement?
--