How to send email from dolphin?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Nov 26 21:55:09 MST 2016

What you are looking at is a service menu which is created/handled by
desktop files located in /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus

The particular service menu that creates the "Send as Email Attachment"
is kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop and it specifically calls kmail.

If you would like to change it's behavior just copy the service menu to
you local service menu location which is
~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/

You'll probably need to create the ServiceMenus directory first.

Once it's copied over, any changes that you make to the file will
override the default behavior.  You could simply change it to something
like:

-------------------------------

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=all/all;
Actions=sendto;

[Desktop Action sendto]
Icon=kmail
Name=Send as Gmail Attachment
Exec=x-www-browser http://gmail.com/

-------------------------------

The biggest problem I think you will have is actually automatically
attaching your file since you are calling a web based email.  If anyone
has a solution to opening gmail and adding an attachment at the same
time I would be interested in knowing the solution.  I think you might
be better off setting up a GUI based email program and pointing it at
gmail's servers.  Then you will be able to do exactly what you want.

The people at KDE really should change the kmail part of the default
service menu to be xdg-email instead so it would at least use your
preferred email program rather than hard coding it to kmail.  Of course
that service menu does come from the kmail package, so you can't blame
them too much.

Brian Cluff