Debian Testing boot

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Nov 18 15:05:11 MST 2016

On 2016-11-17 15:44, Carruth, Rusty wrote:
> Can you tell the BIOS to not ever use the USB drives?
> If not, can you make the BIOS have the real hard drive be the first
> thing it tries? (think ‘Boot order’) That should be settable in the
> BIOS even when you’re working the settings without a USB device
> connected.

Yes, that.

It might also be useful to check the USB disks with fdisk (or gparted)
and make sure that none of the partitions on the disks are marked
"bootable".  Typically, the BIOS won't boot from a partition that
doesn't have the bootable flag set.  (It might if the disk has an
ISO9660 bootable image on it, but it's unlikely you have that going on
if you're using the USB disks to store data.)  Your BIOS might be doing
something very stupid, but some combination of the above things should
make the laptop work properly.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity