second monitor

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Nov 4 14:30:13 MST 2016

On 2016-11-04 14:05, Michael wrote:
> I plug my TV into the HDMI port to put the screen on the tv. It
> doesn't do it correctly.... it is like I have the regular monitor and
> I move the cursor to the right it goes onto the tv. How do I make it
> correct?

The default in X11 now is for all connected monitors to be completely
different, and for your desktop to span across all of them.  I assume
when you say "make it correct", you mean "clone output DVI-0 or DP-0 or
VGA-0 to HDMI-0".  There should be a control panel-like thing for your
Displays somewhere in your desktop environment.  For KDE 5, this is in
System Settings->Display , and you then choose "unify outputs".  There
should be something similar in GNOME somewhere, but I don't use GNOME.
There must be a way to do this from the command line using xrandr, but I
can't test it right now.  Something like "xrandr --output HDMI-0
--same-as DVI-0"?

Note that most TVs will chop off a bunch of pixels at the screen edges,
because they're expecting "TV" input and not "monitor" input.  You can
fix this in 2 ways:  Go into your TV's settings and set it to "PC mode",
or on your computer, "xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan true".
Change the output to whatever your HDMI output is actually named.
"xrandr" by itself will tell you what they're named.  (The second thing
may be preferable if you have something like a computer on HDMI-0 and a
Raspberry Pi on HDMI-1, because a Pi delivers "TV" input by default and
setting the TV to "PC mode" means the Pi now displays a smaller image
with black borders.)

There's some sort of bug in Gentoo's KDE 5 where it won't remember this
setting across reboots, and will revert to the default behavior and make
the TV the primary Screen.  Having to turn the TV on to open the control
panel and reset this is a tad annoying.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity