Need excellent admin with perl/bash scripting skills looking for more than being an SA

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Thu Nov 3 20:26:55 MST 2016

BCC Recipients - take for action or disseminate to interested parties.

This is an operations/engineering role (system administration is about
5%) - you'll be in the thick of IT, solving problems many
people/companies have never seen before.  On-call rotation is oneweek
long with several people sharing the duties.  Pay is good and benefits
are awesome (1:1 matching 401K, shit-ton of vacation/sick, legal plan,
medical, dental, yada yada yada).  This is a high-performing team - if
"average" or "flying under the radar" is your thing, delete this email.
If you can justify a risk with solid metrics and research, use the link
below.  And the architect is a jerk - no wait, I didn't say that.  Need
good attitude, no jade, snarkiness a plus.  If your mindset is "That's
the way we've done it" or "How do you want your sandwich" then delete
this email.  If you want to make things better and help design the menu,
use the link below.  If you can debate a position with facts and
credible references, use the link below. If you can't separate your
feelings from a risk-based business decision, delete this email.

Let me emphasize, Perl and bash scripting are critical.  If you can
demonstrate any other structured programming language proficiency and
have the Sam's book "Learn Perl in 21 Days," then RTFM and use the link
below.  We use a language that is very Perl-esque and bash.  Linux
sysadmin experience a must.  If chmod 777 is how you solve file access
problems, delete this email.  If you need Gnome, delete this email - run
level 3, baby! If you don't know why /var and /tmp should be on their
own file systems and not a part of /, delete this email.  Good to know
the basics of systemd (go watch the YouTube video) - System V init is so
yesterday.  When to use a daemon versus xinetd is a good concept to
understand.

One of the interviewers (the jerk) has a reputation of interrogating,
not interviewing.  Can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, and
delete this email.

This is a bank - drug test, background check.  If you're on the pipe,
delete this email.  Many team members are former military - if that
mindset bothers you, delete... or, if you want to know what "adapt,
improvise, overcome" means in the InfoSec world, use the link below.  We
solve problems, forge new pathways.  Failure is not an option.  "Can't"
is not in our vocabulary.  "I don't know" is the wrong answer - "I'll
have that for you tomorrow" is better.  "I'll have that for you in a few
minutes" is best.

Feel free to email me directly for any questions about the position.  If
you made it this far, you're either the nutcase we're looking for and
laughing your ass off, or have your finger poised above the delete key
hoping it gets better.  And if you think the above is
hard-core...delete.  HR hint: make sure your resume has the same
keywords in it as the job description - failure to comply will filter
your resume to /dev/null.Seen it done.

</sarcasm> (or not)

Go here:
https://jobs.americanexpress.com/jobs/16015188/Information+Security+Analyst?lang=en-US