More dysfunctional Ubuntu-isms

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Thu Nov 3 13:23:07 MST 2016

seems to be no standard for UEFI bios, Some I need to turn off secure boot
others I need to have it on. As of 16.04 I have had no real issues even
duel boot with windows.
Reminder Installfest/workshop is Sat at Gangplank 10-4pm and great place to
work on issues like this.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> I've literally put Ubuntu or one of it's variants on tens of thousands of
> machines over the years, and only a couple of times have I run into a
> machine that wouldn't boot and install.  It usually came down to a weird
> BIOS config where a setting that seemed like it shouldn't effect the boot
> process did.  I would call that a bug in the BIOS or in other words a
> hardware issue and not something that was Ubuntu's fault.
>
> The only other problem I've had, and it's also very rare is when the
> machine had a video card that was incompatible with the opensource driver,
> but it would be loaded anyway and either crash the system or be too buggy
> to actually see a usable display.  In those cases I would whip out the
> server install CD and install it without problem.  Then it was only a
> matter of installing the proprietary driver directly and then everything
> would work correctly after that.
>
> Brian Cluff
>

> On 11/02/2016 06:38 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
>
>> So yet another chapter of ubuntu-isms begins in my life, trying to
>> install on my new desktop.  Step 1 defeat, their server install won't even
>> boot with a 16.04.1 server disk. Internal cdrom or external usb cdrom, no
>> usb thumbdrive.
>>
>> Then tried a 16.04.1 desktop installer for kubuntu, which got into setup,
>> but proceeded to just lock up indefinitely at the drive setup screen, twice.
>>
>> This is really why I have a hate/love relation with ubuntu, it never
>> fails to disappoint.  My road to 16.04 has been all upgrades so far, this
>> time I'm using 16.04.1 cd's from scratch.
>>
>> I really don't want to have to make a circle of distro's to end up back
>> here again, but ubuntu is always so basically dysfunctional these days with
>> the most basic things, it's hard to want to care.
>>
>> I wonder how much others have seen this.  This is with legacy boot in
>> bios, no uefi crap, and just a basic d-i based ubuntu server install,
>> and/or kubuntu.
>>
>> -mb

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team