More dysfunctional Ubuntu-isms

Phil Waclawski phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu
Wed Nov 2 22:05:18 MST 2016

Very odd. I have installed kubuntu to many laptops, desktops etc, and only
once had a minor problem (the refurbished laptop I bought had a bad
battery).

Now, for graphics cards it has always been either INTEL or  NVidia, I've
never dealt with (nor want to) ATI.  And I don't have the issue of having
an INTEL/Nvidia where they switch.

Two of the laptops were designed to be linux friendly ( a dell with ubuntu
preinstalled and the Zareason with kubuntu)

but others were old thinkpads, hp workstation laptops, old dell towers,
ACER motherboards for desktops.

The best bet is to check out what hardware is in your desktop, there are
definitely items that can make installing a pain, but even many of my
students have installed ubuntu/kubuntu to their laptops with pretty good
success (one had a major problem connecting to our WPA enterprise wifi
system here, but that is probably the schools fault in setup).

I have occasionally had to go into the bios to turn off features for a
desktop motherboard that I didn't need and were causing problems.
Phil W