(OT) WordPress Hosting

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu May 19 09:33:38 MST 2016

I have a site that is built using WordPress.  I host it at HostGator.
HostGator was bought about 2 years ago and they has improved
substantially.  Better hardware and less packing of sites.  My site has
good performance.

I would think GoDaddy, Blue Host, HostGator, and others would be fine.
I am seeing a lot of the cheap hosting companies claiming they
specialize in hosting WordPress.  Not sure what exactly they are doing
that is specific to WordPress.  I think WordPress requires MySql 5.6 and
PHP 5.6 so maybe you will want to consider that as well when selecting a
host.  https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

If your daughter wants to attract readers, I would suggest the Yoast SEO
plug in and would recommend reading the entire Yoast site.  Lots to
know.

I would recommend permalinks and using a mobile responsive theme.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

On 2016-05-18 18:18, Mark Phillips wrote:
> My daughter has become a blogger of late
> (http://www.sustainablesixty.com/)...I [1] guess a recently minted BS
> from ASU needs a summer hobby while she works and saves up her money
> to start her MS in the Fall at ASU.
>
> I was thinking of hosting her Wordpress blog on some spare space I
> have on a Linode machine, saving me the cost of paying to host her
> site. Does anyone on the list support Wordpress, and if so, any
> suggestions or gotchas about hosting Wordpress?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark
>

> Links:
> ------