OT: Web Application Hosting

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:42:05 MST 2016

For general hosting, mail, and domain hosting i use a fully managed hosting
account at dreamhost. they run my mail and web services (doing a good job)
and its 120/year. I also can build you a coupon to cut the first year in
half. then they also have AWS and cloud compute services as well as virtual
host options that you can mix and match. and they are LetsEnrypt enabled
with automatic renewals for any domains you host with them. so far it has
been a very nice service.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> The million dollar question for me is what is everyone doing for a mail
> server.   I do not want to run a mail server nor do i want to pay $10 per
> vhost for a mail server.
>

> On 2016-05-16 14:44, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>
>> On 05/16/2016 04:40 PM, Nathan England wrote:
>>

>>> I have been using Digital Ocean for several years now and I have dozens
>>> of droplets running Centos. My typical scenario consists of spinning up
>>> a droplet, configuring it for lamp, and developing to my clients specs.
>>> All development is done locally and then moved to the droplet for client
>>> testing and everything else that comes along with consulting.
>>>
>>> Once everything is completed and the client is happy, in every case, I
>>> have then moved the application to a different web host, such as
>>> Rackspace or GoDaddy, depending on what the client requests or their
>>> ability to self-manage...
>>>
>>> In all the years I have worked with these hosts, along with others like
>>> Bluehost and Hostgator, I have had significantly less problems with my
>>> Digital Ocean virtual hosts than I have on any of the other
>>> "professional" hosting companies.
>>>
>>> I'm currently spending ~$1200 a month with Rackspace and have constant
>>> issues, almost daily outages, and my dev servers for the same
>>> application on DO have been up for months. (Some issues are purely
>>> network related which is out of my control and Rackspace does not want
>>> to acknowledge any issues, and some are purely because some people in
>>> China want to be my friend...)
>>>
>>> Is anyone else using DO for production environments? I guess my real
>>> issue is I've not used DO with a major application under sustained heavy
>>> load (cpu/memory/network).
>>>

>> I won't use anyone else but DigitalOcean for my production workloads.
>>
>> The rest - Rackspace, Amazon, Azure, etc. - are too damned expensive,
>> too damned flaky, and don't even come close to the level of customer
>> service I get from DO.
>>
>> Thomas

> Keith Smith

Stephen